9.26.2007

Another Strange Night Experience

I sat up
around 3 some
AM
on the edge of the bed and looked down.

I saw legs, my legs
like warped bows
and clothing on the floor,
my clothing
I’d left there last night.

I started picking up the clothes
and putting them in piles: clean and dirty
or something close to it.

I was very confused and did it
over again,
a second then a third time.

Then I sat there some more
looking at the piles I’d made.

She woke up and from behind me and said, are you alright?

Yes, I said
I really am.

And as I said it
I felt very sad, more sad than I do even

for those dead and divorced parents and kidnapped children,
Labradors stuck in sleeping bags on mountains,

ipecac
cancer
doldrums
(all kinds)

What’s wrong with me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one is very good and oh so familiar.
GFK