9.29.2007

What Happened Last Night

Usually, I remember little else
but this feeling I did something,
something that didn’t make any sense.
The no sense part
bothers me, and when I remember it,
it makes me think I must have scared you.
I know I sat up in bed
but I don’t remember sitting up,
I just remember being there, sitting up,
and thinking there was something
lost in the bed.
I start sifting through the covers,
flattening them out, looking
for this something, though I
don’t know what this something
is. Then it occurs to me.
Is there really something there?
I can’t exactly answer that
but something tells me
to go back to bed, find this
something later. Then in the morning it’s,
what happened last night?
And she’ll tell me, you sat up in bed.
You were acting weird.
Right.
Why were you doing that?
And I say
I do not know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this poem- simple, flowing language expressing a universal feeling. This is one of my favorites, along with "Crisis".

Anonymous said...

another strange night experience
G.K.

Anonymous said...

another strange night experience